Wilderness Navigation Course (No GPS or Sat Nav)
Navigation course Cornwall
All too often we read in the papers and hear stories on the news of people getting lost and into trouble because they have relied entirely on GPS to navigate around the hills and countryside. As a rule of thumb we at Footsteps of Discovery believe you should have a good base knowledge of conventional navigation using a map and compass and then bring your GPS/Sat Nav in at different points for your check navigation.
Remember batteries go flat and signal reception can be poor – especially in the wilderness. You need the confidence in using the basics of a map and compass so you can rely on yourself and your skills to get you out of any situation – and that’s where our navigation courses come into the picture.
- Saturday 28th May
- Saturday 10th September
What to expect?
This one-day navigation training course really does go back to basics:
- A period of theory to lay the foundations
- A walk into Nantillio Wood onto the country roads and tracks and into the open rural countryside – during which students will be required to monitor the route they have taken and discuss in detail their pinpoint locations with their instructor
- Map and compass training – take and use check bearings with their lightweight compass and measure and check the distance to the next map control
- Make way back to the Nantillio Wood via a different route; walking is at a leisurely pace
- On completion, students should feel confident in using a conventional map and lightweight compass in the basic format.
Two day one night option:
In addition to the above, our two-day one-night wilderness navigation courses includes:
- Survival Navigation (Sun Moon & Stars)
- Theory on the bearing’s side of the lightweight compass
- Second day on the moors
- Practice some of the more complex techniques of navigation
- Saturday night accommodation in the form of a tarpaulin or parachute shelter (or bring your own tent)
- Food cooked on an open fire
What you will learn:
- Basic map reading
- Map orientation
- How to use a silva compass
- Natural navigation techniques
- Confidence to self-navigate
How much and how to book?
- £45.00 per person for one-day navigation course
- £75.00 per person for two-day one-night navigation course
- Call Mark on 07970 494 723 or email email@example.com
What to bring?
- Weather suitable clothing
- Good walking shoes
Good to know:
- All equipment provided
- Free parking
- Arrive 10 minutes early to the agreed time